Choosing Your Focus

What are you thinking about today?  Where is your focus?  Whatever you focus on expands your perception which becomes your reality.

Consider this verse: “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.” Philippians 4:8 (NIV) 

Now consider the opposite (taken from The 4:8 Principle by Tommy Newberry – I highly recommend this book):  “Finally, folks, whatever is untrue, dishonest, unjust, impure, ugly, negative, vicious, or worthy of criticism, think about these things.”

Which of these describes your thinking more often?  When you hear the weather report, do you focus on the 80% chance of sunshine or prepare for the 20% chance of rain?  As for me, it really depends upon my perception at the time.  Right now, it is the beginning of Spring and it is pollen season here in the South.  I am grateful for the pollen because of the beautiful flowers and trees but my sinuses don’t always love it.  I choose to appreciate the process of pollination and the beauty it brings on most days.  I also prefer the sunshine over the rain on most days.  However, during pollen season, I am grateful for the rain.  I choose to focus on the cleansing of the pollen from my deck and my car and the ability to take a deep breath outside after a good rain.  As you can see, my perception and my experience affect whether or not I focus on the sunshine or the rain.

Reflect on your thinking.  We have control over that.  Sometimes, we may need to change our thinking but know that it is possible to do just that!  One tip is to start a gratitude journal.  Write down at least three things that you are grateful for every day.  This works well in the morning so that you can start your day in a positive frame of mind.  When you start to struggle with negative thinking, you can use this journal to look back on all that you have to be grateful for in your life.

Another tip is to use uplifting essential oils aromatically which will trigger the emotional part of the brain, the limbic system.  Choose a citrus oil such as Wild Orange, the oil of abundance, and diffuse it or simply put a drop on your hands, rub together and inhale as you are reflecting on your blessings or the things that the Apostle Paul suggests in Philippians 4:8.  This trick will help re-train your brain and as you make this a habit, you will be reminded of your blessings when you smell that aroma. 

As an Emotions Mentor Coach, I love empowering people to make positive changes in their lives.  For more tips or to schedule a consultation, contact hasWellness Family Solutions.

Scroll to Top